Save posts to drafts automatically

This is pretty basic request so I’m sure it was requested before somewhere…

Is it possible to have MB autosave posts as drafts as we write them? I just lost a post (not the first time) and while I have a rule to always write the post in Emacs (which is what I use to write everything) I keep breaking this rule.

The reason to break this rule makes sense to me on MB: it’s so easy to just launch the browser and start writing, sometimes you just want to share something quick. This is why this autosave feature is more important to me here on MB. Another reason to do that is the upload image tab: it opens to a new page and what you just wrote gets wiped (if you use the option at the sidebar).

Perhaps this can be included as an option to turn on and off, and if it takes extra cycles (I don’t think so, but maybe?) perhaps this should be an option for paying accounts?

If this already exists and I’m totally missing a very obvious option, please let me know, I have a facepalm waiting :grimacing:

The behavior between clients differs here. I don’t know of any app that will autosave a draft for you, but some keep the text in the text field even if you leave the app or it crashes. I just tried in Gluon and Micro.blog for macOS and they will happily let you continue writing where you left off if you quit the app and open it again.

But I agree with you, caching the next post in the web client until it’s published would be a nice feature.

Agreed, the web version should handle this too. The native apps are better at this, but still don’t auto-save as you type like dedicated notes app do (Ulysses or iA Writer).

Yeah, if this wasn’t clear I did mean the web client. If I use Emacs (I know, I know…) I don’t have this problem because my stuff are saved, and it also generates the markdown for me.

But it would be nice to have especially for those quick 2-3 sentences posts that you just want to do real quick

This morning I lost my post again because I clicked “uploads” to grab a picture to embed. I know it’s a user error, I know most (I think?) of us don’t use the web client but other apps…

But still, this is so trivial and expected… just to have the web client to automatically save a post as a draft as you write.

While at it, why not do the same with notes, if possible? Since Notes are more private by nature, perhaps this can be a toggle, so it’s up to the user to choose if to auto-save notes or not. For posts on the web-client though, I think this is a must.

This is good feedback, thanks. Notes in the Micro.blog for Mac app do auto-save, and I want to bring that to all the platforms, for blog posts too.

I understand the angle - MB has a native app for macOS that offers autosave. That’s fine and makes sense that if you want an improved writing experience, you’re probably going to use an app anyway.

But… web’s important, and not all of us have Macs (where the better apps for MB live), so the web is a good basic common tool. It’s also quick - our browsers are (usually) always open, so it’s just a matter of opening another tab, say something, done.

I guess it depends on how hard it is / how long it takes to implement the autosave. I’m not a developer… Is it a day’s worth of a task? Is it very complicated, and will it take a month? It’s weird that it’s not implemented already, kind of makes you go “huh? why?” :upside_down_face:

I agree. Losing a draft is frustrating and there’s no reason we can’t auto-save on the web. There’s another reason I would like this too: if you have multiple blogs, if you start typing a post, then switch blogs on the web, currently you lose the draft. If we auto-save, it would be preserved.

Yep! that happened to me too