Mac users can use the native Micro.blog for Mac app. It’s a free download and supports most of the same features as the iOS version.
Download the latest version here. Requires macOS 10.14 Mojave.
When you first launch the app, it will prompt to sign in via your web browser. If you’re already signed in on the web, it will prompt to redirect back to the Mac version.
If you’re using a Micro.blog-hosted weblog, you can use File → New Post to start a new blog post. If you’re using WordPress or another server, first open the preferences window and enter your web site URL to set it up for posting within the app.
2.0.3 — November 21, 2020
- Updated for new “Apple Silicon” M1-based Macs.
- Fixed selecting main timeline window when clicking on new post window.
2.0.2 — October 5, 2020
- Fixed accidentally showing tab bar in new post windows.
- Fixed background in new post window if Dark Mode changes while app is running.
- Fixed remembering new post window position.
- Fixed potential crash when clearing posts search.
- Fixed error when opening prefs window for some settings.
- Fixed photo window default size resetting.
- Fixed copyright year in about box.
- Updated camera icon on macOS 11 Big Sur.
2.0.1 — September 29, 2020
- Fixed sidebar background in Dark Mode.
- Fixed leftover Favorite button instead of Bookmark.
2.0 — September 29, 2020
- Moved new post and reply to its own window.
- Added new Pages and Uploads sections.
- Renamed Favorites to Bookmarks and added New Bookmark menu command.
- Updated with new icons and toolbar, ready for macOS 11 Big Sur.
- Added Copy HTML button when viewing uploaded photos.
- Added new
- Added read links in Bookmarks for Micro.blog Premium.
- Many other minor fixes.
1.9.3 — April 22, 2020
- Fixed crash importing photos from Instagram archive.
- Fixed not showing error message when posting fails.
- Fixed window and split view divider resizing.
1.9.2 — March 28, 2020
- Switched to using the macOS system font.
1.9.1 — October 9, 2019
- Fixed post selection options popover on macOS Catalina.
- Updated for “notarization” to avoid launch warnings.
1.9 — June 10, 2019
- Added new Open option when clicking a post to open it in your web browser. Useful for copying the link or viewing the post on the author’s blog.
- Added icons for Reply, Favorite, and Conversation.
- Fixed error reporting when posting fails and during timeline loading.
- Fixed photo compression to be more consistent across Micro.blog platform.
1.8.2 — April 23, 2019
- Added window width resizing. Finally!
- Added video thumbnail previews in Posts list.
- Fixed setting alt text on multiple photos.
1.8.1 — April 16, 2019
- Fixed uploading videos in some formats.
1.8 — April 5, 2019
- Added video upload for Micro.blog-hosted blogs. Video support is designed for short videos, about 2 minutes or less, and uses the same hosting plan as podcasting.
- Fixed scaling of uploaded photos that were too small before.
1.7 — March 27, 2019
- Added support for saving a post as a draft to publish later (File menu → Save Draft).
- Added a new “Posts” section to search and edit your recent posts.
1.6 — January 30, 2019
- Added setting categories on new posts. Create categories in Micro.blog on the web (Posts → Categories) and then show the categories pane on macOS (View menu → Categories).
- Fixed character counter in Dark Mode.
1.5.1 — January 25, 2019
- Fixed adapting to system appearance changes so that Micro.blog doesn’t need to be restarted after changing to Dark Mode.
- Fixed background color in photo window for Dark Mode.
1.5 — January 21, 2019
- Added support for Dark Mode on macOS Mojave.
- Added username auto-complete when composing a new post.
- Fixed crash when posting photos without accessibility text.
- Fixed crash if a photo could not be opened in a new window.
- Fixed incorrect width/height when posting photos to an external blog.
1.4.1 — January 15, 2019
- Fixed accidentally enabling Dark Mode support before it was ready.
1.4 — January 15, 2019
- Added clicking on a photo in the timeline to open it in a new window.
- Added setting alt text on photos for accessibility. Click the photo thumbnail before posting to your blog.
- Improved how the navigation animates when opening a conversation or user profile.
1.3.3 — August 17, 2018
- Added a menu when viewing a user with options for muting and reporting the user.
- Fixed an issue remembering the media upload URL for posting photos to external servers.
1.3.2 — July 12, 2018
- Updated who someone is following to show users you don’t follow yet.
1.3.1 — May 4, 2018
- Fixed creating replies from Instagram import. Micro.blog now removes the “@” if an Instagram caption begins with an Instagram username.
1.3 — May 3, 2018
- Added Instagram archive import. File → Import from Instagram.
- Fixed width/height attributes on external blog posts for non-square photos.
1.2.1 — Mar 27, 2018
- Fixed clearing out all account settings when choosing File → Sign Out.
- Fixed saving the current text as a draft.
1.2 — Mar 26, 2018
- Added multiple account support. You can add a new account in the preferences window.
- Added switching between multiple Micro.blog-hosted blogs when you have more than one on the same account. Click the hostname at the bottom of the posting view.
- Fixed underscores in URLs showing italics in Markdown.
- Fixed using font size preference in Discover.
1.1.4 — Jan 29, 2018
- Added View → Title Field menu item to show or hide the title field. Title still automatically shows when typing over 280 characters, but won’t disappear.
- Fixed character count to reflect characters used in published blog post, without markup.
- Fixed keyboard shortcut for Format → Link menu item.
- Fixed opening Micro.blog conversations from a link in the timeline.
1.1.3 — Jan 19, 2018
- Fixed compatibility with some XML-RPC servers.
- Fixed crash on discover link and when Micro.blog servers are down.
- Fixed crash pasting images into a new post.
- Updated user profile to truncate very long descriptions.
1.1.2 — Jan 8, 2018
- Fixed opening some types of Micro.blog URLs in the app.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for Format → Link to ⌘-K to match other apps.
1.1.1 — Jan 4, 2018
- Added support for starting a new post with a URL: microblog://post?text=Hello
- Fixed Markdown highlighting for underscores in usernames or links.
- Fixed photo upload for Movable Type blogs.
- Fixed pasting from some copied Safari links.
- Fixed crash on startup when no internet connection.
- Fixed handling some links to the Micro.blog web site from the timeline.
1.1 — Dec 19, 2017
- Added new Mac app icon!
- Added a “Show More” button to load more posts in the timeline.
- Fixed opening main window when clicking on Dock icon.
- Fixed not refreshing user information and profile photo on launch.
- Fixed XML-RPC issues with some custom blogging servers.
1.0 — Nov 6, 2017
- First release. (There were earlier betas starting Oct 14, 2017. Thanks to everyone who tried the beta!)