Find all mentions of my site

I don’t really want to use the conversation plug ins or features to show replies or webmentions on my site, but I realized that doesn’t mean I don’t personally want to know when someone has linked to me or mentioned my site. I wonder if there’s a way to hit an endpoint and get recent webmentions.

Perhaps a nice sidebar feature on Micro.blog would be a collection of webmentions. I’m sure that 99% of this is the same as the @ Mentions tab, but I’m also pretty sure there are at least some webmentions being sent that I won’t see.

That’s a good idea. I think there should be an API to get all webmentions Micro.blog knows about, even those that might not be displayed on your blog.

You can also get JSON of replies to a specific post, like this:

micro.blog/webmention?target=permalink-url-here&format=jsonfeed

Format can be “jsonfeed” or “jf2”.

1 Like

Cool! That’s useful to know! Yeah, I was thinking about my desire to see webmentions. It reminded me of how some folks wanted the ability to delete replies/webmentions as a moderation tactic on their site, which made me think “if we had a side nav to show/manage webmentions that would be awesome”. (Of course, deleting a web mention probably doesn’t help, I’d bet you’d have to block a domain or a specific domain to a post because most systems will go ahead and keep sending that mention).

I don’t need moderation, but I would like a peek at who is out there potentially responding to my posts on their blogs.

Agreed, I think being able to see incoming webmentions would also really help troubleshoot when replies aren’t showing up where you expect. Micro.blog basically has a log of all webmentions it receives and sends. I’ll add some kind of web page for them.

Related: Is there any way to check if the u-in-reply-to class is sending webmentions correctly? I’ve not been convinced that they are, and @sod has mentioned that he had to use a different service to get some going recently.