Allowing readers without a micro.blog account to comment on posts?

Hi - I was wondering what the best approach is (if any) for micro.blog hosted blogs if one wishes to let even people who don’t have a micro.blog account to comment on their post.

Is the main option to use a third-party service like Disqus as detailed here? with the knowledge that then none of the replies using that service will end up in the micro.blog conversation.

Thanks to the “display conversations on page” option and the cool Conversation on Micro.blog plugin I can see how to make it easy for Micro.blog users to comment on posts - but wondering if there are options if you want to also allow users who don’t have micro.blog account to talk? Obviously at one’s own risk…it may be a terrible idea for most people :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your best bet would be Disqus or similar. The other option would be to use something like Brid.gy to accept web mentions from other sites.

1 Like

To give some more context for where we are going to go with commenting… The plan is to expand Conversation.js (which is enabled with a checkbox and shows replies to your post from Micro.blog and around the web) to add a reply form. If someone is already signed in with Micro.blog, they will be able to reply directly. If someone doesn’t have a Micro.blog account, they may be able to sign in with their own blog.

We don’t plan to enable anonymous comments, so if you want that it’s best to go with external options like Disqus.

5 Likes

Cusdis is an alternative to Disqus. I’m testing it with Micro.blog and it fits in well.

1 Like

This would be a great addition to Conversations.js. In addition to Indieauth (sign-in with blog), a simple email/name form would be good too. Not sure if that’s in your plan though.

Simple email/name form isn’t in the plan for now, because I’m not sure how it would fit with the Micro.blog timeline, and it would be easier for people to add spam comments.

3 Likes

Is there a way - or could this be added - to link to the cross-posted tweet for additional replies? Not necessarily embed the tweets on the page, but at least link so anyone with a twitter account could see / reply there?

1 Like

I’ve installed that plug-in. Can you respond to any of my messages?

Where is it?

It’s on the Design page, named Include conversation on post page.