Wordle and poetry in Markdown

Quick tip about formatting because I see this problem often: in Markdown, you separate multiple paragraphs with a blank line. When you just want a line break, you need to add 2 spaces at the end of each line. Otherwise it will wrap text such as poems or Wordle solutions together on a single line.

I’ve considered changing this behavior for Micro.blog, but I think any deviation from Markdown will create other problems, especially for full-length blog posts. The more exceptions we introduce, the more complicated it is to explain or understand when you hit edge cases.

Here’s a link to the official Markdown specification about how paragraphs and new lines are handled: Daring Fireball: Markdown Syntax Documentation

2 Likes

Do you have a tip for adding two spaces without getting the automatic period when typing on iOS? When testing this, the best I could come up with is to add 3 spaces and then reposition the cursor to delete the period.

If you type the 2 spaces very slowly it won’t trigger the automatic period. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haha. Zen and the Art of Making Space

3 Likes

It seems three spaces work, but I’m not sure if that’s in iOS.

https://micro.blog/JohnPhilpin/15686421

@JohnPhilpin

To turn off the “.” Shortcut on iOS, go to Settings → General → Keyboard and toggle the “.” Shortcut switch.

1 Like

I tend to use ‘three’ - belt and braces and all that … not sure what you mean about iOS?

Apologies. I was misreading @jean above re iOS … She wasn’t after line breaks at all, but a related full stop issue.

1 Like

TIL. That’s why my quotes don’t respect line breaks and now I can correct it :slight_smile: Thanks @manton

1 Like