Where to file bugs

We have a number of places to submit feedback or ask questions, and now that the native apps have been open-sourced there are new places on GitHub as well. The guide below will hopefully point you in the right direction. When in doubt, just post a question wherever is the most convenient for you!

help@micro.blog: This is a good default, especially for account-specific questions.

help.micro.blog: This is great for starting discussions, documenting how Micro.blog works, or asking questions that could benefit multiple people.

micro.blog/help: You can @-mention @help for quick questions that probably have a simple answer. Anything more involved that might need a back-and-forth discussion is better over email.

GitHub issues: We’ve long had a general repository that is just for filing issues about Micro.blog. Now that the native apps have their own repositories, this general issues repo can be used mostly for the larger web platform. Similar to email, it’s a good default bucket for filing bugs.

GitHub iOS: I’ll be moving older iOS issues into this repository over time. That way they can be more easily tracked along with potential open source contributions. This is really what’s “new” and prompted me to write this up.

GitHub macOS: Same for macOS using this repository.

GitHub Sunlit: Photo-related issues that are specific to Sunlit can also be filed on GitHub.

Again, there are no strict rules about where something goes, but as we grow we’ll use these separate places to manage bug reports. Thanks!

1 Like

Is there a good place to make feature requests? I’ve made some on GitHub in the past and I see that there are also requests on the forums.

Maybe it would be better to have a forum category just for requests?

We’re going to try to reorganize the forums a little so that the “official” help is more obvious, so maybe that’s something we can think about. I don’t think we really need a single place for feature requests because even if we had one, people are going to submit feature requests other places anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the reorganisation went well. The table of contents is a good addition :+1:

Is the GitHub Issues tracker for general bugs still being used by people? It looks a little out of sorts when compared to the general Help banner (forums, timeline, email).

When thinking about feature requests, I think people are much better off posting them here or on the timeline because then you can rally support for other members which we now know will increase the chance of the request being considered by the team.

When reporting multiple bugs for the same site/account via email is it best to:

• Include all bugs in one email…
  • OR Create an email per bug?

In the past I have mentioned multiple bugs in a single conversation and it seems to work against whatever system is in place for email support.