Website integration/ Revue migration

Hi all, so far so good getting onboarded to Micro.blog! I am coming as a once-upon-a-time and short-term user of Revue, obviously with a bit of a gap since my last time publishing.

First off, the cross-posting is an awesome feature and something I’d really wish I had control of earlier - very excited for that feature.

Besides that, here are the high-level goals I’m looking to achieve based on what I got working in the past:

• I will publish new articles to my own domain, using a custom publishing workflow, and want to share these across Micro blog, Twitter, Bluesky, etc. for every new article. This does not have to be automated I just want to understand the most sensible approach. My guess so far is one “unified” post from Micro blog that cross-posts to other platforms and I should have the appropriate content on my site to render previews. Any other approaches and/ or details to consider?
  • Typically I add some high-level context/ less formal commentary in these posts than is in the main content. So I liked having a gallery of these posts on a subdomain of my own site. Would this be done using a redirect to my /Archive and my preferred subdomain?
  • I liked that with Revue I’d be able to send emails newsletter-style with each post, it looks like that will be possible here. Cool! One thought is: why wouldn’t users be able to choose email frequency options vs. me? Also, if I want to tag individual posts to be included or not in these summaries, I simply make a category for that?

Thanks for a cool product and any help. I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I get my feet on the ground!

I will publish new articles to my own domain, using a custom publishing workflow, and want to share these across Micro blog, Twitter, Bluesky, etc. for every new article. This does not have to be automated I just want to understand the most sensible approach. My guess so far is one “unified” post from Micro blog that cross-posts to other platforms and I should have the appropriate content on my site to render previews. Any other approaches and/ or details to consider?

Micro.blog crossposting would automate all of that for you, for the most part. Unless you want minute control over appearance, Micro.blog will do a “native” post with no link if there’s no title and content is less than a certain character count. Over a certain count or with a title, you’ll get title + link or a sentence or two + link.

Typically I add some high-level context/ less formal commentary in these posts than is in the main content. So I liked having a gallery of these posts on a subdomain of my own site. Would this be done using a redirect to my /Articles and the my preferred subdomain?

I’m not totally sure what you mean by subdomain in this case or what you’re looking for here. But you can use the special <!-- more --> tag to have everything “above the fold” in a .Summary object that can be used by your theme and the full contents (summary than the rest) on single post pages, for example. See the Hugo docs on summary content for more details.

I liked that with Revue I’d be able to send emails newsletter-style with each post, it looks like that will be possible here. Cool! One thought is: why wouldn’t users be able to choose email frequency options vs. me? Also, if I want to tag individual posts to be included or not in these summaries, I simply make a category for that?

Because it’s your newsletter and you supposedly want some control over it. So it’s your call if it’s a digest or sent with every post or what. That said, yes, categories are the one allowable filter for newsletters so if you wanted to manually select what “counts”, you’ll probably want to use a category for those posts and for that purpose to collect them and send.

More details on customizing newsletters here: Email newsletter templates - #3

Note: newsletters are a premium feature and require the $10 a month subscription.

1 Like

Re: subdomain, I think am just looking for something similar to Manton Reece - Archive - a way to host a nice (live) render of Micro blog content on my own site.

Revue forced this to be on e.g. revue-dot-mysite-dot-org but I don’t have a strong preference for url format. :slight_smile:

Manton’s archive page is a built in Archive template for all content on the blog. You can use your own domain with Micro.blog, which is what I recommend, and your site will just be at that domain. Pretty much all themes have an archive page at /archive.

Here’s an example of my Archive page, which I customized to remove posts without titles and order by dates. Archive — every page (and all of that site) is Micro.blog.

Thanks. One restriction I have is that micro blog cannot take over the whole site. I am planning to incorporate interactive content (e.g. notebooks running on pyodide) so it needs to populate a subdomain or a subset of my page tree.

If it wasn’t for this need of mine I’d probably just be doing the substack or medium thing, but happy I found this instead!

You can also have micro.blog at your own domain at a specific subdomain like micro.mydomain.com-- it works the same as using a custom domain.