Webp Support?

Does Microblog support the webp format? The format is supported by all modern browsers, but when I upload I either get an “Internal Server Error” message or a placeholder instead of an image.

I just decided to test this for you. I used my one surefire upload method (the web client upload page) to upload this webp file:

which appears to have been successfully uploaded, but converted to a jpg image:

Update: sometimes you can get at the “placeholder” location by getting it to open up from the uploads page. There are times when I have hunted this location down and successfully included a resource in a post even when the copy html isn’t functional or the box looks empty.

Micro.blog doesn’t support WebP. As @Moondeer discovered, Micro.blog will often try to convert to JPEG. (Thanks for testing that!) I’ll fix that to let WebP be uploaded, although there may be other parts of Micro.blog that assume JPEG, such as the Photos page.

1 Like

jpeg2000 isn’t supported either.

Apple added support for WebP to iOS and iPad OS and macOS only recently (September 2020) with Safari 14. Anyone running Safari 13 and earlier will not be able to view WebP images. Years after Google created WebP, the most compatible image format on the web is still JPEG.

FYI. Very few of the major content management systems (WordPress, Joomla, etc) have native support for WebP.

I just discovered the WebP files I uploaded earlier today are converted to jpg and found this thread while ‘troubleshooting’. It’s almost two years on from when this thread was originally started. Are there any plans to add WebP support?

Given the direction recently taken for HEIC files, I think that the approach is going to continue to be convert to JPEG.

1 Like

For WebP, it also depends on how you are uploading them. If you upload a WebP image from the Uploads page on Micro.blog, it will not convert it to JPEG. But the apps will usually convert to JPEG before upload.

1 Like

Now that is interesting. And something to test.