In the old world using themes and customizing them worked like this:
- you selected a theme from the design page
- you edited and created a custom theme and made changes in it that in turn overwrote the themes templates
- you selected your custom theme on the design page to apply it to your blog
This is a great workflow, because there is a distinction between the design itself and alterations made by the user.
In the new world it seems to be working like this?
- install a theme from the plugins page
- on the design page, your design is set to blank
- edit custom themes: duplicate the custom theme created by the plugin (?)
- in design set your custom theme to your duplicate of the plugin-theme
- make your changes, etc.
I feel like from a user’s perspective this workflow is worse, not least because a user’s templates and a plugin-theme’s templates are all custom templates now. But maybe I have misunderstood how to use custom
themestemplates with theme-plugins?