Replying to a specific Mastodon post

I have a post that I am trying to reply to. I have added the Mastodon account to my follow list via the Discover search. I cannot find this specific post in their feed. I tried using the Discover search to bring up this post by putting the URL in there but that didn’t work either. Any thoughts on how I might go about doing this?

1 Like

Micro.blog’s support for ActivityPub/Mastodon is still early and has quirks. Sometimes, not all posts show up, and as you’ve discovered for yourself: it’s not possible to search for individual posts. At least not yet.

So, unfortunately, there’s not much you can do other than wait. @manton might manually add the missing post when he sees this thread.

2 Likes

I too have noticed this with specific mastodon accounts so glad to see I am not the only one.

This is interesting. I’ve tried to unravel how to find that specific thread and it is difficult, because when we initially load posts for a Mastodon user, we do it from the RSS feed which includes a limited number of recent posts and not replies. I think we need to add better paging through recent posts from within Micro.blog. Sorry that this isn’t easier (or even possible in some cases) yet.

Another option we could explore would be pasting in a full post URL from Mastodon, and Micro.blog could load the conversation. That could also be useful.

3 Likes

I would like this. I tried to reply to a specific Mastodon post, but searching for the URL on micro.blog didn’t turn it up, and when I searched for the user instead, the feed seemed to be a few days out of date.

I wanted to add that it’s not just that the feed is out of date now, but on Micro.blog - @dougv@hachyderm.io, for example, 3 of the 6 permalinks are 404s, and several (non-boost) posts from the middle of the timeline are also missing.

So it’s not just that I have to wait for the timeline to update—some posts are just forever inaccessible?

@manton Is it a priority to be able to participate in Mastodon conversations, or should I create a non-Micro.blog Mastodon account somewhere just for that?

We still plan to add the ability to paste in a Mastodon URL to open it in Micro.blog. I participate in conversations with Mastodon users all the time, so that is definitely important to us, but usually it’s because a post or reply has already appeared in my timeline.

2 Likes

I want the ability to paste a Mastodon URL and reply to it too. Would save a lot of trouble.

1 Like

I built a thing in Apple Shortcuts which could help with this.

Shortcut: Open Mastodon Posts on Micro.blog – Decoding

1 Like

Thanks for building this! I still think we need to add a way to paste in a full Mastodon URL and open it in Micro.blog. When we have that, this shortcut could also be updated to use it.

I vote for this feature! I use a Mastodon client to browse Mastodon, but I’d love to be able to conveniently reply to toots from micro.blog.