Possible to import newsletter subscribers?

Is it possible to import a list of subscribers from another newsletter host to a Micro.blog newsletter? I’m thinking export from the old host and import into Micro.blog.

1 Like

We plan to add an import feature, but it’s not there yet.

2 Likes

Great. Thank you.

Is it possible to remove one or more of the subscribers??

Yes, search for the subscriber (or use a blank search to show all subscribers) and you can remove any subscriber. It is also now possible to “block” subscribers from re-subscribing. Enter their email address in Account → Edited Muted Users and click “Block Username” and it will prevent that user from subscribing again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @manton couldn’t find the block option though I could delete the subscriber.

Great! If you want to try blocking an email address again, here are some more detailed instructions:

• Go to the web version of Micro.blog, click on “Account” in the sidebar (or profile menu if on mobile where the sidebar is hidden).
  • Scroll down to the “Timeline” section of the page.
  • Click “Edit Muted and Blocked Users” button.
  • Enter the email address you want to block and click “Block Username”.

Any chance to build subscriber import functionality? I’m attempting to migrate from Ghost with not many by some subscribers and I’d rather not force them all to go through the re-subscription dance (and lose some).

Yes, we’re planning to add an import soon. My early concern was spammers using the import to spam people, but our solution is just going to be to require someone to have a paid account and an existing newsletter before the import is enabled.

I’ll make this a priority to finish this week. Thanks!

2 Likes

Has this feature been implemented? I’m considering upgrading and moving over from write.as but don’t want to lose my subscribers.

Sorry, this still hasn’t been rolled out. I’ll put it back at the top of the queue.

1 Like

We’ve added an initial version of email subscriber import, to help migrating from Substack and other mailing lists to Micro.blog. Click Newsletter → Import. It takes a CSV file with an “Email” column and ignores any other data.

To discourage spammers from abusing this, the feature has a couple important limitations:

• It cannot be used unless you have a paid Micro.blog account that is at least 30 days old.
  • It cannot import more than 1000 subscribers at once.

We will likely tweak this in other ways as we see how it is used in practice. Note that this is for importing people who have already agreed to join your newsletter.

4 Likes

Appreciate this feature and just wanted to say it works like charm. I had a list being generated from my old blog, and that was super easy to import.