Moving Blot to Micro.blog

I’ve almost 2,500 posts from my early blogging days (mostly longform posts) on Blot. By Blot, I mean individual .md files for posts and a bunch of assets for linked images, files, etc. How do I move it from Blot to Micro.blog?

I want to continue using Blot and have manually cross-posted my longform posts on Micro.blog to Blot Now that I’m relatively assured that search engines don’t surface my Micro.blog posts, I see certain advantages in having my older posts pre-Micro.blog also on Micro.blog. Any help or pointers to resources are appreciated.

PS. I first googled how to do this and came up on posts by @Denny @kaa and @pimoore so wondering if you guys have any tips. I hope to reach out to David at Blot as well but don’t want to take up his time.

Under posts, click the three dots next to your blog name, choose Import, scroll down to the Markdown option:

Will the zip file contain individual md files for each post? What’s the format for the front matter at top of each md file?

I guess I could experiment with few posts and see but it would be great to have documentation or a how-to.

The images may have to be fixed later by uploading the assets individually

title, author, date, and categories are the only supported front matter as far as. Know.

Yes, the zip file is just flat markdown files with a markdown file for each post.

If the posts have images, Micro.blog will fetch them from the URLs in the post and rewrite it.

That’s nifty. So I just have to upload them one by one to Micro.blog Uploads, right?

No-- you don’t have to do anything. Micro.blog will see the URL in your markdown post, download the image onto micro.blog, then replace that image link with the link to the Micro.blog hosted version.

1 Like

Awesome. That’s even better than I expected. I’ll give this a shot over the weekend and report back.

How does it do with porting over the current URL? I have a fair number of posts that use ‘Link:’ in the front matter to define a custom URL.

Since it’s not taking a data file straight from Blot, I assume it would lose any old redirects there.

“Link” isn’t a supported field right now, but it does look for either “URL” or “Permalink” in the front matter. Micro.blog will store that with the post and automatically redirect the old URLs.

Done. Post about the experience.

A few more things that may cause the import to fail:

• Any form of embeds (Twitter, Flickr, etc.)
  • unrecognizable characters (like when you open in Word that has imported from elsewhere) that sometimes creep in
  • hyperlinked images for some reason. They will not download and upload to Micro.blog.

Do you mean images not originating at the blog domain? If so, I think that makes sense— presumably they’re not on your other site because you don’t own them, though I think it’s generally considered bad form to use “external” images (people used to call this stealing bandwidth).

Ah! Makes sense although I was linking to my own Flickr and Imgur to view a larger size of the image. They were only a handful so I simply removed the link.

I looked at my URLs again and I don’t think it’s preventing what you call “bandwidth stealing.”

I was hosting my images on Flickr or Imgur and using the img src tag to display them on my blog. But if they are hyperlinked that is, if the img src tag is wrapped inside a href tag then the image didn’t get downloaded & uploaded to Micro.blog. But if I removed the a href tag, it worked.

I’ll keep that in mind, thanks!

Another potential snafu…those specifically defined links are only included in posts where I wanted to customize the URL. The vast majority of my posts do not have any sort of link or URL defined. I’m assuming that Micro.blog would have no way to redirect the old URL, and if they were hosted here they would default to the domain.com/year/month/day/first-three-words.html structure. That would leave a bunch of link rot in its wake… Am I right in my assumption? And can you imagine any way to mitigate it?

Also, those links that I have defined are all relative ones like /blog/12/12/cool-post-title. They don’t include the domain. Would that be an issue?

Relative links are fine. Micro.blog will add the domain name to the beginning of it if you enter the domain name for the import.

For when the URLs are not specified in the file, Micro.blog won’t know how to handle the redirects. You can create redirects under Pages → New Redirect, although that will be tedious if you have hundreds of pages.

Okay, sounds like there will probably be a bunch of manual work needed on my end if I decide to go forward with it. Good to know!