Micro.blog Feature Requests

I just tried this and I am seeing an upload progress bar, so I wonder what the difference is. Not that it should matter, but what browser are you using? Mobile or computer?

Hmmm, Mac Safari, latest everything. Iā€™ll check again later in case I missed somethingā€¦

I just tried with a test and indeed the progress indicator appeared. Either I was confused or there was some glitch earlier today. My apologies.

No worries, itā€™s entirely possible there was a glitch. I actually noticed an issue today where if a post is being published it does interfere with the upload progress, which Iā€™ll fix.

Feature request: Log in to Mastodon using my micro.blog account.

Description: Mastodon has some features not supported by microblog. Iā€™d like to get the best of both worldsā€“be able to boost and favorite posts, reply to other peopleā€™s posts, and see other peopleā€™s boosted posts, and do it from my micro.blog address rather than a mastodon address.

Now Iā€™m wondering whether Mastodon has anything like the Reply-To heading in email, which I guess would serve the same purpose.

I donā€™t know whether Iā€™ve entirely thought this through. The outcome I want is to have the full capabilities of Mastodon, but any public action I takeā€“favoriting, boosting and replying to other peopleā€™s tootsā€“would appear to come from my micro.blog account.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this was addressed or I missed it previously, but I see that the ā€œcopy HTMLā€ on uploads has a

> alt=""

string now. That helps!

Iā€™ve been thinking that it would be awesome to be able to permanently associate alt text with an image upon upload. Iā€™d love for some alt text to be linked with an imageā€™s URL so that if I ever ā€œgetā€ that image via the ā€œCopy HTMLā€ or ā€œCopy Markdownā€ buttons, or any other method, I would also get that alt text with it.

I donā€™t know how the backend works, but it seems possible since when you upload a video, you also get back an image URL for the poster parameter along with the videoā€™s URL. Theyā€™re at least loosely linked, right @manton?

Yes, I donā€™t see why that wouldnā€™t be possible in the future.

2 Likes

Feature request: Hohoho - Xmas-wish to micro.blog by a non-developer, newbie-style. Maybe availible allready, but not that easy selectable, as for a beginner:

Description: I would like have micro.blog as the heart of my microblogging-life. All my posts shown on that micro.blog main page. Each post might been selected to be passed on (crossposted) to individual other social networks (i.e. Mastodon, Bluesky , etc.) Comments to those post should show up on my micro.blog page below the original posts automatically. This way your different social media accounts will end on that micro.blog page for you. Use public standards like ActivityPub, Webfinger etc. in the background if possible.

So every user can configure the content on the micro.blog page up to his needs. From being ā€œpureā€ micro.blog up to central social media headquarter. Just use tick boxes to customize, so non-developers (like myself) having a chance to take part.

Maybe one day, this wish will become true. Thanks a lot for all your great work. Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

regards,

Suitbert

Just to be clear on whatā€™s possible already:

1. Cross posting options have defaults and can be shown on each post when you author them.
  2. Clicking Include conversation on post page will include replies on your blog if you want.
  3. Bridgy can be used so that replies to crossposted replies are sent to your blog as webmentions and shown-- those platforms donā€™t generally do that, there are some caveats there, and to get ActivityPub replies to show up fully in Micro.blog itā€™s best to not cross post but instead just turn on your Micro.blog ActivityPub stream that people can subscribe to and reply to.

The real hiccup is Bluesky and Mastodon donā€™t send webmentions to a canonical source without the help of something like Bridgy. Using your blogā€™s ActivityPub stream solves that for an activitypub based social network, but otherwise, thereā€™s little recourse for the fact that a cross post is actually generating a distinct copy of your content on another platform and that platform would have to choose to support some standards to make this work seamlessly like that.

tl;dr this is 98% possible with clicking tick boxes today.

Feature Request: Character count in post editing view

Description: Iā€™m pretty strict about keeping my micro posts within the 300/600 character limit. But when I go back to edit a post after itā€™s published, I no longer have the benefit of a character counter. This is tricky when Iā€™m near the limit and donā€™t want the posts to be truncated on the timeline.

2 Likes

I came here for this! Hi @manton, is there any chance of this happening anytime soon?

Feature Request: Iā€™d like to be able to preview the rendered version of a post while editing a draft or previous post, similar to the way you can preview on the new post page.

The web app has a preview feature.

Iā€™m using the web app, which has a preview feature on the new post page, but if you save as draft, go into edit it again, thereā€™s no longer a preview button.

2 Likes

Ah! Yes. I think someone else also raised that question.

Editing the slug in the URL is still planned. I donā€™t think itā€™s going to happen this month, though, as we have a couple other things weā€™re finishing first.

1 Like

Oh, great to hear that itā€™s on the plans!! Hoping for next month then!! :crossed_fingers::wink:

I also wish there were a way to preview drafts in the context of my blog. Code block rendering is buggy in the ā€œAll postsā€ view and I use KaTeX to render math.

Separately:
Feature: Support macOS text replacements in the desktop app.
Description: Safari and Chrome support macOS text replacements in text boxes.

Feature request : add Storygraph to micro.blog books options
Description : when viewing a book on Micro.blog - Discover books, add a button/search along with these options:

But you might object: ā€œthatā€™s too specificā€, but Iā€™d respond ā€œamazon and goodreads are already there, and they are not only specific but hostile to the open webā€.