Mastodon-compatible username

I just joined today. I’m using a custom domain. On my blog template my micro.blog address is showing and I’d like to use the address I associated with my custom domain. Is there a way to change that in the blog settings?

It’s possible to change but not in the blog settings, unfortunately. You have to create a custom theme and then make the change in the config.json file.

Oh, that’s too bad. I don’t mind hiding it, but I don’t like it being visible when I’m using – in the blog settings – the new username connected to my custom domain. I don’t want to dig into custom design and mess up something. Thanks for helping me!

A custom theme might sound scarier than it is. In this case, you would only touch a file called config.json which is for changing settings that are not exposed in the Micro.blog user interface. It would not affect the design of your blog.

The config.json file contains many lines of text, but the relevant one looks like this:

"description": "Follow <a href=\"https://micro.blog/[USERNAME]\">@[USERNAME] on Micro.blog</a>.",

That can be changed into something like this:

"description": "Follow <a href=\"https://example.com/user\">@user@example.com</a>.",

Totally understand if you don’t want to make the change, though. An alternative solution is to just hide the subheading using Custom CSS:

.blog-description {
  display: none;
}

I don’t see a config.json file in the theme I’m using.

I used your Custom CSS to hide the bothersome. Thanks for that!

Thanks @sod for the suggestions. Just wanted to add, if a theme doesn’t have a config.json, you can add an empty one and add a specific setting like “description” to it. Micro.blog will merge all of the config files it knows about into a single file.

How, and where, do I add a config.json in my account?

Design > Edit Custom theme > Click your theme.

Check that there’s no config.json file (it probably is there) and if there’s not, click New Template at the top. If it is there, you can just edit the existing config.json file and edit the description field. If description is not there, you can add it and it will supersede the default config.json which has that filled in.