MarsEdit equivalent for Windows?

Hi,

Another question! I’ve seen a lot about how great MarsEdit is with Micro.blog on the Mac.

Is there a close equivalent people use on Microsoft Windows? That’s the system I usually have access to so would love a great app to post from there if there is one.

(Otherwise of course I can still use the native web interface)

2 Likes

I’m wondering this myself…if anyone knows or has recommendations…

I’m not on Windows, but based on some quick searches and this list of MarsEdit alternatives for Windows, I would say no, there’s currently no MarsEdit alternative for Windows.

The only Windows app that publishes to Micro.blog that I’m aware of is Obsidian. Obsidian supports plugins (enable them through the app settings). One of the plugins is Micro.publish, which will publish to your Micro.blog.

1 Like

ia Writer, which can publish to Micro.blog on MacOS and iOS has a Windows version too. But I can’t tell from the site if the Windows version has the same publishing tools that the Mac version does. It might be worth trying out a free trial? (I don’t have a Windows machine to test it on.)

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Windows and Android versions of iA Writer don’t have the blog publish feature and there are no plans to add it.

I believe @ericgregorich is right. On both Windows and Linux, using Obsidian is probably the only way to go. Micro.publish is a great little plugin but doesn’t support images yet.

It seems only 64-bit Linux. It won’t find md.obsidian.Obsidian on flathub on my 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS. This makes sense, since most of the software industry has gone 64-bit.

Your Raspberry Pi 400 is a 64-bit machine, so you can install the 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS if you want.

1 Like

I know, though I don’t know what it would break if I installed it. I can even install 64-bit Ubuntu, if I wanted.

I don’t think anything on the planet really compares to the awesomeness that is MarsEdit, it’s probably the app I miss most when working on Windows. :slight_smile: That said, Ulysses used to have a Windows version and that might be a solution. Another trick would be to use iAwriter, or Ulysses if it’s still available, to compose in markdown, get everything the way you want it, and then just copy/paste it into the web interface. Composing locally and previewing locally is the closest I’ve found to getting at least some of the functionality on Windows that’s native in MarsEdit. I prefer working locally because it’s easier for me to manage drafts and such, even if I manually have to copy/paste later.
There’s just not a lot of stuff with markdown support in Windows.

Bumping, maybe something has changed in ~two years? Is there any good windows app that works like MarsEdit? Or works with micro.blog?

From what I’ve seen recently, Obsidian with the Micro Publish plugin is still the most effective way to publish to Micro.blog from Windows. It still doesn’t have image support, though. Coming soon, maybe.

iA Writer I think can publish to Micro.blog, but it can’t update after it’s published.

In any case, there is nothing as robust as Mars Edit is on the Mac. Being able to connect to your blog and pull down all of your existing posts and keep them updated would be wonderful to be able to do on Windows.