Is it possible to delete webmentions?

Hey folks,

I have a webmention on one of my posts that isn’t spam as such, but I feel it’s in bad taste and outside of the context of the post. So I’ve been looking for a way to remove it.

I’m sure there’s a way, but I can’t seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not so sure that there is a way for us mere mortals. You probably have to reach out to @manton to actually delete the webmention from the database.

In the context of your blog, there are some things you could do to hide it. For example, add the following snippet to Custom CSS:

.microblog_post:has(.microblog_time > a[href$="110117524749171076"]) {
  display: none;
}

Here, I’m assuming the original webmention post URL ends with an identifier. So you have to substitute the numbers above with the identifier of the offending webmention. You might have to come up with another CSS selector if the URL scheme used is different for the post you have in mind.

If you’re comfortable with JavaScript, you can write your own replies widget, using Conversation.js, and add support for excluding certain webmentions.

1 Like

Thanks @sod, appreciate the reply.

Not having the ability to moderate what is displayed on our own site seems like a miss to me. That’s open to abuse, no?

Yes, this is something we want to provide an interface for. You should be able to hide replies on your own blog (although not necessarily on the rest of Micro.blog).

Shoot me an email if you have time with the specific reply and I can follow up. The CSS trick is probably the best work-around in the meantime.

1 Like

I’ve implemented the CSS trick and hidden the webmention in question, so thanks for that, folks. @manton I’ll drop you an email to remove it properly. Thanks!