Inkwell on Homebrew

I would like to lobby for adding Inkwell to Homebrew! I have not special information or data to back up my case, I just like using it as an installer and package manager.

1 Like

I think the question is whether Inkwell meets Homebrew’s acceptance criteria to be included in the core tap (repository), like the notability requirement. It’s not impossible, but it’s probably a bit of a challenge to get included.

@manton or someone else could offer a third-party tap, so you could install Inkwell with a command like brew install microdotblog/apps/inkwell.

Interesting. If there was a tap, it could contain all of our Mac apps, and maybe even a fork of the third-party mb command-line tool. The downside to me would be maintenance and accidentally letting it get out of date.

Yes, maintenance is a potential downside, but maybe it could get automated away. With GitHub Actions, there could be a new release with binary artifacts each time a new versioned tag is created in the repository. From there, the tap could get updated automatically as well.

See Homebrew Action and alternatives for inspiration. But, yeah, it’s quite a bit of work to set all that up. :sweat_smile: