Image size changed on upload

I try and keep image sizes below 200KB but for some reason my images are larger after uploading to micro.blog. For example the last image I uploaded was 181k but the uploaded image is 524KB. Is this a bug or is it supposed to happen?

This is not supposed to happen. I think it might be a side effect of when Micro.blog needs to strip out location and other photo metadata, and it re-compresses it and so the size might change in that case. We’ll look into doing this more losslessly because we definitely don’t want sizes increasing (or quality changing) if the image doesn’t need to be resized.

Just looking to see if any changes were made re: this.

I just uploaded an image that was 3000x3000 to use as a podcast cover, however every time I’ve uploaded it, it looks like it’s resized to 1800x1800.

Apple is not publishing my podcast because of this.

Apple requires the cover art to be at least 1400×1400 pixels. From the page Artwork requirements:

If you’re submitting your show via RSS feed, Apple Podcasts accepts show cover artwork ranging from 1400 x 1400 to 3000 x 3000 pixels. The largest size is preferred.

The cover art in your blog’s podcast RSS feed is 1024×1024. An image generated by a text-to-image model is often at a lower resolution, so you have to scale it up before uploading to Micro.blog as your podcast artwork.

For podcast art, make sure you upload a PNG. Micro.blog won’t attempt to resize that, and most art for podcasts works better as a PNG anyway (since they usually aren’t photos).

I think that’s where I went wrong. I was uploading a JPG. I’ll try a PNG.