Export options on MB 2.1

It would be great if the export remembered the last time an export was run and gave the option to export all or export just content from > the last export date. I have around 2200 posts, and it takes quite a bit of time to export. I think the Day One import is not going to be a thing I want to repeat (Day One is not doing well with 2200 posts suddenly added), but would want to be able to do on some kind of regular basis to keep a copy.

Thanks, I think we’ll want to continue to improve this. With Day One in particular, more of an incremental update makes more sense.

This feature has become more complicated than I expected, so I think for 2.1 we’ll keep it as a basic export and not incremental, although we could revisit this later. A work-around in the meantime is to always export into a separate Day One journal, then batch select only the new journal entries and drag them into your real journal.

Fair enough! I did want to note that even with that many posts, though I did have to quit Day One after the import to get it working, the import did work well. The only oddity, which I don’t think is fixable or in scope, was that my use of shortcodes around images resulted in code blocks in Day One and not with the images in the post. My guess is it’s pushing markdown unprocessed and not HTML, which is going to be correct for 99% of people.

Yeah, that’s true, the export runs with the original Markdown, before it has been processed by Hugo. I wonder if we should start storing the post-processed text too so that we have more control over things like this.