Disabling ActivityPub of Micro.blog account

If I reset/disable ActivityPub of my Micro.blog account, can I still follow Mastodon accounts? Can I reply to them? I understand that they wouldn’t be able to follow me or respond to my replies, right?

Currently, I can search (in Ivory) for my first name on Mastodon and see my Micro.blog-powered ActivityPub account. If I reset/disable, will that disappear? If yes, how soon?

1 Like

I’d be curious to know this too.

If you reset/disable ActivityPub in your Micro.blog account, you will no longer be able to follow Mastodon accounts. People will also no longer be able to search for you in Mastodon. Resetting it basically “deletes” your profile from other Mastodon instances. This should happen within a couple minutes of resetting it.

Related, we are working on an expanded block feature to be ready when Meta’s Threads enables ActivityPub support, which I expect in a couple months. Keep an eye on @news for when we roll it out. With that you could block all the popular Mastodon instances from following you by entering threads.net, mastodon.social, etc. That might be a way to keep limited ActivityPub support in your account while preventing most people from finding you.

Thanks. This is what I assumed too. I went ahead and reset/disabled it, but I still see the Mastodon followers in my Following list. Does it keep the ones I was already following?

With that you could block all the popular Mastodon instances from following you by entering threads.net, mastodon.social, etc. That might be a way to keep limited ActivityPub support in your account while preventing most people from finding you.

This is great. I just don’t want my Micro.blog profile showing up when people search for my name on Mastodon since I already have a separate Mastodon account. Maybe I can live with the @micro.blo suffix instead of my custom domain but still thinking about it.

Hmm, I think the people you were following get stuck in limbo after disabling ActivityPub. You will no longer receive updates from them, but unfortunately they are still listed there. We should fix this to automatically clear those Mastodon people out of your following list.

Glad to know that if you disable ActivityPub, it’s both ways (people can’t follow you and you can’t follow people). Also, I assume when you reply to people on Mastodon, they see your Micro.blog server/instance handle, right?

BTW, can you link more than one Mastodon instance in cross-posting? Asking coz once Threads launches ActivityPub, do we have to choose between it and other instances?

Only one Mastodon account at a time right now. For Threads, I don’t expect they will allow cross-posting. Just ActivityPub support means you can follow Threads people from Micro.blog, but doesn’t necessarily mean we can copy posts there.

Can we reply to their posts and can they respond back?

Yes, if everything goes according to plan, you will be able to reply back and forth between Micro.blog and Threads. This is assuming Threads rolls out ActivityPub in the way we all expect.

1 Like