Bookshelves

For a consistent look for book covers, I add them as regular books.

Because I’m picky and don’t find the search to provide enough information about editions etc on the Micro.blog search, my process is search on Bookshop.org, find the ISBN, and search the ISBN on Micro.blog to add that version.

Is it possible to manually add a book if it doesn’t show up in the Epilogue search result?

I’m trying to add 9789180021753 but am not able to find it. (or any way to add it)

Yes, you can manually add a book here.

If it’s a book that isn’t in our default search (using Google Books), you can also add books to the Open Library and those can be added by searching for the ISBN: https://openlibrary.org

1 Like

Lovely. Thank you!

I added the book to Open Library and it was no problem adding it to my bookshelf. :+1:

Can you add this link to the Bookshelves page as well? I wrote and deleted a post here when I couldn’t find a book on Epilogue

I think the best solution will be to make this available from within Epilogue. If you search for a book on the web, this link does show up on the results page: “Can’t find a book?”

Yaaassss! Video games database cataloging would be my top pick, but yes for all media like movies. IMDB, IGDB…

1 Like

Is it possible to add a comment to a book in Bookshelves? This would be particularly useful on the “Want to Read” shelf. For example, I could add a note that says, “Ken recommended it–said it’s exciting space opera.” Or “Good interview with the author on the Ezra Klein Show.” Or whatever.

If that’s not possible, please consider this a feature request.

Thanks!

The current data structure has only title, author, isbn, and cover_url.

@manton yesterday I added a book for the first time that was not found. It allowed me to upload my own cover art. Since missing cover art is a frequent problem on my blog (I like to use the ISBN that is found on Bookshop.org so I can link there, and that ISBN doesn’t always have the best data in your data set), I’d love to be able to custom set cover_urls of books by uploading my own cover image any time I want as an override. It might even be helpful if someone does that to add it as an alternative cover for your own search at that ISBN…

1 Like

Both good ideas. I have some ideas for having “notes” that can attach to various things including books, but it may be a bit longer until I can get to it.

For the book cover… Yes, you should be able to set the cover any time. I’ll work on that. Being able to manually pick from any available cover is a good idea. (Micro.blog also has some logic where it tries to “fix” covers if they are set to like a blank placeholder image.)

1 Like