Block an IP address from viewing my site?

There is a person in my local geographic community who has been abusive towards me. I have his IP address and would like to block him from viewing any posts or pages on my site. How can I do that?

I’m sorry you have to experience that, Miraz. How someone could be an asshat towards you is beyond my comprehension. You’re one of the coolest and kindest people in my feed.

Micro.blog does not have a built-in way to block IP addresses, but one could come up with own solutions. The question is, is it worth it? IP address blocks are pretty easy to work around. For example, by switching from the home network to one’s cellular network, using a friend’s network, a public one, utilizing the Wayback Machine or by subscribing to a VPN service.

That said, here are a couple of ideas.

1. Use a reverse proxy, like Cloudflare. A reverse proxy is a server that sits in front of your blog host (Micro.blog in this case). So when a person visits your blog, the traffic first goes to the reverse proxy which, in turn, forwards the request to Micro.blog’s server. You could configure the reverse proxy to block certain IP addresses and deny them access to your blog.
  2. Write a little JavaScript that runs early on your blog and redirects users away if their IP address is found in a block list you provide.

It’s possible to circumvent both of these options, though. So, again, I wouldn’t say it’s worth investing time and energy on them.

Thank you so much for your kind words Sven!

True about avoiding the IP Block and the methods you suggest are more complex than I want to engage with.

I very much appreciate your response. :grin: