Microblog-generated archives

My search results on DuckDuckGo include archives for individual years. I’m glad of that, but their headings have a language error that looks bad both in the search results and on the relevant archive pages of my blog. These headings for a single year are rendered in the plural. See, for example, this screenshot from DuckDuckGo.

IMG_0152

In case it’s relevant, I’m using Tiny Theme, but I’m pretty sure the problem is not with that.

I would really like a fix. Like many people here, I make my living with language, and this ongoing error is embarrassing. Thank you @help

Your category name is 2024s. That’s where the title is coming from for this page 2024s | Mark Stoneman

based on seeing Category: 2024s as your h2.

The title element has <title>2024s | Mark Stoneman</title> which looks like categor y + | + site title.

But I didn’t set up this category. That is my point.

… I don’t see how that’s possible unless your blog theme does that.

Your theme must. I have no such categories or pages.

Interesting.

I noticed that my blog (using sumo) is doing the same thing 2024s | Ross Karchner

Mine’s Tiny Theme, so maybe we need to ask Matt about this.

That’s odd. I’ll see about it tonight.

1 Like

So interestingly, the route exists on my blog but just points to my full Archive page. 2024s

Maybe this is something micro.blog is doing somewhere.

Actually, after a quick look, this appears to be a Micro.blog thing. Here it is on Manton’s site. You can see the page name in the title bar on sites that don’t include it within the theme.

(Edit: @jsonbecker came to a similar conclusion right before I posted.)

This is definitely strange. Micro.blog doesn’t do anything special for year folders like that, so we must be hitting some Hugo pluralization edge case.

It’s an accident that /2024 even works. We don’t link to that anywhere that I’m aware of.

I’m going to add an explicit _index.md file for each year page to override the title. Don’t try to add this yourself… Because of how Micro.blog caches the content structure, it will cause problems.

I see that this is a Hugo feature: Template list of content adding `s` to section name as page title (.Title) - support - HUGO

If there aren’t objections, I’m going to set that config to false going forward, starting tomorrow. I’ll also add it to the list of allowed overridable config names.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Thank you for having a look at this.