Cross-posting to Twitter, Medium, Mastodon, and more

We are powerless before @manton’s cross-posting machine ATM. Not really anything that I know that can be done to tune the way things are generated.

I would love the addition of cross-posting syntax that would be parsed for platform specific options. This would take a whole lot of work so it’s more of a wish list priority.

That being said. Having Twitter/Open Graph cards configured can make a huge difference, especially when the post contains an image.

Some platforms actually show the summary text, never seen a Twitter card with summary text in the wild though.

agreed this would be great!

I definitely agree with that… Have a Medium account, but that’s more because there are people who insist on posting to Medium instead of to their own web site, so I’m stuck with it.

1 Like

@manton Cross-posting from my second blog (theplaytime.micro.blog) to Twitter still doesn’t work. I’ve reconnected it multiple times, but still no results. Please help.

i have the same problem :confused:

Unfortunately 2 problems to report @manton

1. Medium:
    Whilst I was pleasantly surprised articles actually starting cross-posting there, unfortunately this is what they look like:

I’ve obviously deleted them all.
I retained one Unlisted for you to investigate: Turning off iCloud Photos for #privacy? How-to and alternatives: #Dropbox + #E2EE storage: #Cryptomator & #ProtonDrive | #ApplePrivacyLetter #tech | by Laurence Warner | Aug, 2021 | Medium.

Not sure if there’s been a change on HTML formatting on their end (perhaps to do with the fact pages can have custom designs now, like my dark mode?).
Although this seems doubtful because it still looks like this on the old Edit view:

Unsurprisingly the stories had no fans:

They are frankly unreadable.

2).
My articles feeds → LinkedIn & Medium: stopped cross-posting entirely to either of those 2 3 weeks ago:

So they missed out on my posts about Micro.Camp.
Hearteningly, unlike some of these ^ unlucky folks the same RSS feed still cross-posted to Twitter consistently - which is the most important:

Interestingly, Mastodon has had some miss but some come through.

To conclude, I guess at least for Medium it was a blessing in disguise that it stopped!!
But I hope we can work towards have cross-posting that can be relied upon to go out in a decent format!

This feature hasn’t worked for me since I signed up to the service. Anyone else having issues here?

When I try to connect to Twitter the Oauth callback fails with the following unhelpful message.

Error while processing the request. Please try again or email help@micro.blog. Check the news blog for updates.

Any other ways I can cross post to Twitter?

Yeah, since resubscribing, cross-posting does not work for me with Twitter or Mastodon. I’ve tried feed.xml and feed.json and feed.rss, all to no avail. Sigh.

Well, it did work, quite a few times, earlier today, but again now seems inoperative.

Jumping in to say that my Twitter crossposting has broken today as well … is there a larger issue or is it just a Josh issue?

I can confirm that this broke in some cases when I added the “instant” publishing to the timeline. Apologies. Should have it fixed today.

hopefully it’s a case of 1 step forward 2 steps back if the cross-posting becomes instant too!

@manton Is this still the case? It may be worth documenting the behavior on the cross-posting page.

I really like the way cross posting to Twitter displays images. I wonder if the alt tags could be included? My posts originate on WordPress.

Including alt tags has been on our radar for a while and I hope to prioritize it. Requires some under-the-hood changes to how we’re using the Twitter API.

1 Like

Brilliant, I forget them quite often but trying to get better.

I would like more control over how posts get cross-posted to Twitter.

I want to have a title on micro.blog but also have the beginning of the post to be in the tweet (possibly without the title). I think this will increase traffic from Twitter to micro.blog too.

1 Like

It should be noted that the Medium crossposting feature does not work at all. Is there anyway Medium will let us fix that or should we consider removing that feature?

I didn’t realize that Medium cross-posting was broken. Everyone else seeing this? If it has been a while since Medium cross-posting was enabled, you may also want to disable/re-enable it, which will update the authentication information in Micro.blog.

All these work for me. My Micro.blog post cross-posted to @tbc@mindly.social on Mastodon, tbc0 on Twitter, tbc0 on medium.com, and tbchambers on LinkedIn.